Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Back to the ole grind :0)

If we followed our public school model, we would likely be spending a lot of time today and in the weeks to come, discussing how we are safe in our school. In the wake of the Connecticut shooting many children are scared to go to school. Many families are choosing to homeschool instead of public school. I keep reading about children and families who no longer feel safe in their public schools. It is tragic. Not just the horrifying loss of innocent lives, but the waves of innocence damaged by the aftermath. The reality that we are not as safe as we once felt. The reality that no community is immune from the effects of mental illness.

Today I feel lucky. Lucky to have chosen to homeschool and thereby alleviate the fear of a school shooting. Lucky to have my kids and husband nearby on a regular basis. I feel like I have been given a gift of time with my family. I feel a bit less burdened by our family's choice to home educate.

I am excited for this new year. All of the possibilities still laid out in front of us, like a fresh blanket of snow.

I will continue to pray for the families who lost children to this tragedy and the other families affected. I will pray for change in our health care system, that we may be able to help the mentally ill before they snap and commit such horrendous acts of senseless violence.

As for my family, today is a day like most every other. We are cuddled up on the couch reading and writing and talking and laughing. Back to the ole grind :0)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Please be respectful of other. Kind language only. Opinions are great, harsh or unkind judgements will not be posted. All comments are moderated, so please be patient; and if you followed the rules yours will appear soon :0)